Home

Sunday, November 4, 2007

Button Bounty

Goodness what a lot of apron love there has been. I had a grand total of 508 visitors on Friday which is a little overwhelming really. I am enjoying seeing all the other fantastic tutorials coming up each day - a brilliant idea for all of us who would prefer to make our own gifts this year.

I've been tagged by my mate Jade for a craft meme. And as I answer I will throw in a few photos of my freebie button haul. There was actually a lot more in there than I expected and these are a few of my favourites!

1. When did you start to create and make craft?

Not sure but definitely under the age of 10. I was always making stuff for my Barbies and my dolls house. I remember the first thing I knitted was a bright yellow and red vest - very 70's so I must have been about 10. I don't recall ever finishing it. I got my first sewing machine for my 18th Birthday and prior to that I used my Mum's. During the early 80's I used to race home from work and sew something up to wear out that night. Most of it without a pattern and it can't have been well finished - but I thought I looked great and at least different to everyone else. I spent many hours knitting in the 80's - remember all those fabulous multi coloured jumpers! I was also mad on drawing and up until my early 20's did a lot of painting and drawing - something I really want to get back into.

The Cream Buttons

2. Why did you start creating?

My Mother was an avid sewer/knitter/crocheter and made pretty much everything we wore. I can remember sitting patiently waiting for an outfit to be finished before we went off to a party - which drove my Dad completely mad! She also used to make all our doll's clothes too - some of which I still have. She was given huge bags of fabric from a friend who worked in some kind of textile factory and I used to spend hours playing with them - just like I do now with my fabrics. So I guess being constantly surrounded by it encouraged my interest and desire to create. I also had a lot of craft books and did things like macrame - very groovy.

The Green Buttons

3. Why do you create?

I think because I have to. I just LOVE making stuff. From the creative idea to the cutting, constructing and completing I get so much pleasure. I have so many ideas swirling around that will probably never see the light of day. The discovery of craft blogging has had a huge impact on my creative output though and I have been extremely productive this year. And that in turn gets those creative juices flowing - such constant inspiration! But you all think like that too don't you?

The Black/Metallic Buttons

4. What do you create?

I like to sew bags, aprons, some clothing, quilts and other bits and pieces. I love to knit but in fits and bursts and I occasionally do a bit of crocheting. I also really enjoy embroidery and hand sewing like quilting. I would love to be better at making softies but they are a bit too fiddly for my patience. I really enjoy the swap process as it challenges me to come up with something that suits my swap partner but reflects my personal style as well. I like making things up as I go along and don't often use patterns.

The Yellow/Red Buttons

5. Has this changed since you began crafting?

Not a lot but my interest in quilting is new (it's just slightly addictive). I don't make as many clothes as I would like to and I have a huge passion for aprons that I didn't have before but maybe that's just fashion. I also like doing various crafts with my children now that they are old enough to really participate. I hope I can do more drawing and painting one day.

Treasure

So Amy, Fiona, Leslie, Liz, and Cathy you are all tagged. Tell us about craft in your life.

I have been madly sewing yesterday and today and will have a few new aprons to show you tomorrow. I will also draw and announce the winner of my giveaway. I knew that would bring a few of you lurkers out of hiding and it's exciting to see several of you are from Melbourne. Now, to bed...

6 comments:

tess said...

wow, what great buttons, and a lovely meme too!

Jade said...

Great craft meme read, Louise! It is amazing how much in common we all have. And I love your buttons, specially the white swirly one. I can't believe they're freebies!

Jade said...

Oh yeah, I'm going to be egging you on to get back into the drawing and painting now, too! :-)

jezzmanic said...

The buttons are lovely. What do you think you will do with them all? That's a silly question really, of course you'll find something, you're creative.

a friend to knit with said...

oh, you are so much more interesting than me. :)

lovely post, and photos.

Amy said...

I love all your buttons..how wonderful !! I do love your meme as well...what exactly does "meme" mean ?? This is one tag I do think I would like to participate in.. It's funny, because my answers will be quite similar to yours...parallel lives from accross the globe !!