Home

Wednesday, August 1, 2007

One for me, one for you!!

Oh what an exciting week it has been so far. I had a special parcel from America in the mail yesterday and look what was inside...



My quilt from DQS2. I LOVE this quilt. It is so pretty and every time I look at it I find something else I love about it.



All those little bits of green and yellow and florals and it will go perfectly in my youngest daughter's bedroom. Thank you Lisa for being a fill in - you are so generous and it's greatly appreciated.



Then this morning I received an email from my swap partner Marisa to say that my quilt had arrived. I'm so happy that she loves it because I really enjoyed making it. From coming up with the idea to buying the fabrics, the handpiecing, quilting and embroidery - just loved it! It gives me so much pleasure making things for other people and I just love the fact that my work is now living at Marisa's house on the other side of the world!



After receiving Marisa's preferences I chose something that most suited my style, 1930's reproduction. Selfish hey, but I always believe you should put some of yourself into your creations! Marisa particularly wanted a little quilt for her kitchen wall and after reading her fantastic blog from start to finish I discovered a photo of the red and yellow fabric she had used on her kitchen seats. I then researched civil war quilts, amish and other traditional style quilts that Marisa really likes and when I discovered this I fell in love with the little squares. After a visit to the very gorgeous Patchwork on Central Park I found the perfect little roll of red and yellow 1930's repro fabrics that looked like they had been sitting there waiting for me and with a couple of extras I was on my way.

I had already started putting the squares together when I found this while looking through the list of DQS2 participants. I make lots of aprons and as this was for Marisa's kitchen I thought it would be a perfect addition to the centre of the quilt.





I'm really pleased with the finished quilt and I am so inspired by all the other gorgeous little creations appearing on the DQS2 blog. These little quilts allow you to be really creative. I can't wait for the next one.

Yesterday I also received an email regarding this. My first reaction was to say no because I have so much to do but my mind started thinking of all the fantastic small quilts you could do based on the seasons. The first one is for Autumn or Fall as some of you call it - I love that word it's so beautifully descriptive - and I have such a good idea I can't resist doing it! So it looks like another project to add to the list......

16 comments:

Thimbleanna said...

Boy, you lucky girl -- just look at that pretty big quilt. And Oh My! Your doll quilt is adorable. I love the fabrics, the design, the apron -- just all of it! Great Job!

Cathy said...

Louise, you are just so inspiring. I love your doll quilt that you made - it is so me as well. I will go in dqs2 if you are my partner.

I love the one that you received too. It's great that you enjoy doing all of this designing and sewing.

Cosy said...

What a wonderful quilt swap! Isn't the pieced backing lovely? The whole quilt is just beautiful.

Marisa is very lucky to receive your quilt: beautiful, fine attention to detail. I love your work!

Belinda said...

Louise, the quilt you made is just divine! The little teeny tiny squares and the apron feature, just gorgeous!!

jessica said...

I love them both - really, just divine!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful quilts, both of them. The little stitches on the applique apron just knock me out.

Monica said...

What a beautiful quilt you received! And the one you made for Marisa is so gorgeous. I love '30s reproduction fabrics too!

Marisa said...

Louise, I am so honored to have your doll quilt. It's PERFECT for my kitchen! Thank you so much for the thought, hard work, and love you put into this tiny quilt. It has a good home with me, and a place of respect in the breakfast nook! You are so talented! Thanks a million! xoxo - Marisa

Suzie Sews At DOTTY RED said...

Both these quilts are amazing...it is such fun seeing them all.
Suzie Sews

Lauri said...

Oh my goodness! That little quilt you made is so freakin' cute! I adore that little apron in the middle! Cute, cute, cute!!!

I also love that quilt from Lisa--It looks huge! I thank her again for being able to jump in for me!

Anonymous said...

Oh, what lovely quilts and I especially love the red one with the apron in the centre. They are gorgeous!!

Thimbleanna said...

P.S. I'm tagging you on my blog tonight if you'd like to play along... ;-)

Claire said...

oh my. that is one of the sweetest and cutest quilts I have ever seen. An in my very favorite colors, too!!

Soo said...

love your doll quilt!

Austysmum said...

I love youyr doll quilt! Absolutely STUNNING!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! I've somehow made my way to your blog and absolutely LOVE your doll quilt. I can't wait to browse through your archives.